Thursday, March 31, 2016

Assembly Table Finished

I finished the assembly table a few weeks back, but I never posted about it because I was busy with work and all that. I also didn't really take a lot of pictures because I was more interested in just getting it done.

I had bought my clamp fixtures for the second set of 5 foot clamps that I needed last July when I was working on the table. It took me a long time to get the pipes, and I somehow managed to score the two pieces of pipe for free. With all the pipe clamps I needed, I was able to assemble the frame for the table and get it all together.

I made the lower shelf out of the remnant of AC plywood that I had when I built the top. It was sitting outside in the elements so I had to work around some water-damaged parts. There was enough good wood to make the shelf, though.

Considering that I left the top out in the elements too, I'm surprised it was still as flat as it was. Sealing the bottom of the top with spar varnish was a very good idea. I topped it with Masonite, used some pine from a leftover board I had to edge it out, and got it all assembled, sanded, and slid over to its final resting place in my garage.

As a happy plus, I now have a place for my sander that isn't on the floor. The one downside is that the table doesn't have casters, but that was more by design. I wanted to have something that was solid to the ground so I could hammer on it and not have it slide around. It seems to work great. I already used the table to put together a picture frame and the slightly lower height and the pretty flat surface made putting everything together easy.

I like the design of this table and it was pretty cheap since it's basically a whole pile of 2x4s, which aren't that expensive, one sheet of plywood, and a sheet of Masonite that I still have a lot left from. I have more than enough of that leftover to make another table. I think I'm going to finally get my butt in gear and make that replacement miter saw bench. This design worked out pretty well for me, and I think the miter bench will go together in a very similar manner. I'll probably incorporate some drawers and storage on that bench since it's bigger and I might make that one mobile.

I really need to stop taking so long to finish my projects. Now that Nadine and I have been cleaning out the patio in the house and finally making some room, I have a chance to start putting in the furniture I want. I just have to design and build all of it.