Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Another jig, and trim options

I've been taking my time on the planer cart so I can get all the drawer fronts and doors built up properly. I learned that the hinges I bought for the doors didn't fit perfectly, so I had to do a little bit of sanding here and there to make it work out right. Lesson learned on hinges - get ones that are adjustable. I should have bought some different hinges, but for the price, I'm not complaining. I also know that these are for shop cabinets, not something that I'll be putting in my room or the house. I have to get a magnetic catch for the doors, but since I still need to buy casters, I can probably take care of that this afternoon.

Since I wanted the drawer front to have a raised panel look as well, I was contemplating how to work that out because my panel raiser has a back cutter. I could have undone the bolt and took off the back cutter, but I didn't want to take the bit apart. I have a tenoning jig built already, but it's not quite the right shape for most door panels. Since I did have some extra plywood, I built myself a panel raising jig. It took me all of about 20 minutes and now I have something I can use for more types of finish trim on my cabinets.

Works great. Now I can raise panels on the saw.
I cut my drawer front to size and then I set my saw to an 18 degree bevel, which I worked out was the same bevel as the panels in the door. I decided to not field the drawer front, so it just has the bevels on the edges.

After doing some sanding, I got it attached to the drawer box. I had to adjust my slides since I wasn't exactly thinking straight when I put them in originally. I thought I would have to rabbet the back of the drawer front, but I realized that I didn't need to do that. Because of that I had to move my slides so that the drawer box was flush to the front of the face frame. Setting the front was no problem, and I got it screwed to the box.

Looks like it all fits and works out okay. Better build the top now.
Now that I have the trim worked out and everything fits well, I can turn my attention to the top and get this all finished up. I made a sample panel that I have some stain on, but I'm debating just finishing this clear and let it darken with age. I have a lot of polyurethane left over and I don't really need it stained. Plus, the pine showed some grain reversal and some blotching that I'm not really sure I want to have to take the time to deal with since this is just a shop cart. On the other hand, my router table is stained and finished nicely, so I think I might want to actually finish it properly so it'll sort of match. I do have a fair amount of cherry stain left over from building my router table, so I do want to use that up. I'll think about it a bit more and then work on that.

The nice thing about this cart is that it gives me more storage space. I put my air stapler and pin nailer in the drawer and I see that I have tons of room for the nails and screws I usually use. This way I can keep all my assembly tools nearer to my assembly area (currently my outfeed table).

Tons of room for my assembly tools. This will be great.
I'm going to have to build another cabinet soon so that my chop saw is going to have something good to sit on. Now that I'm getting done with this, I'm seeing that my chop saw is looking pretty sad just on the makeshift table I made for it.

I have to get these shop projects done, then clean up the garage so I have more space. I want to build a bookcase and there's no way I'm going to be able to make it in the garage right now. I don't have enough free floor space for that.

As always, there are tons of things to do, but it never seems like there's enough time to do all of it.