Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Staining and Finishing

I got the woodworking done with the nightstand on Monday when I finished up the drawer. I didn't get much done with it yesterday since I actually had a sub job, but I did manage to get it stained in the afternoon. I let the stain dry overnight, and so today I got to finishing it. I have to say that the wipe-on finishing method takes a bit longer, but it definitely is much easier than hoping dust doesn't settle on the drying finish or trying to sand out brush marks.

 The stain worked out pretty well on the poplar. I can't figure out if that's just because the stain is good or I got lucky, but it looks good, and that's all that matters to me. I think that I can probably get all the finish on today, and then I can let it cure and bring it into the room tomorrow.

This might be the only project I've ever finished within a week, and I'm glad that I did. I really want to have a good place to put the lamp and alarm clock, so this will go a long way for that.

I'm sure I'll take some better pictures of this when it's all done and in the room. I'm just glad I was able to put it together fairly easily.