Thursday, April 19, 2012

more shop things...

Now that my cabinets are basically finished, I started working on some other things for my garage workshop. The first thing I did was use up some scraps of plywood to build some storage organizers for my fasteners I use most often. I was planning on using one of the small drawers, but I realized I needed a place to put stuff like extra pencils and sandpaper and all that. I'd like to have more of an upper storage area, but that will have to wait for a little while so I can figure out how to do that.

how to use up scraps....

The next thing I started working on for the past few days is my outfeed table. When I was building my cabinets, I had a few moments when I probably could have killed myself because I was cutting wood that was too big for the saw to support. That lead to me doing some extremely creative things to keep my work supported.

I was originally going to build an outfeed table a while back, but I wanted to get on to building my cabinets first. This time I picked up a sheet of oak plywood mostly because it was the easiest piece to get at Home Depot and it seemed to be the flattest piece there. It didn't take me much time to cut the pieces I needed to size, and get everything worked out so it fit properly on my table saw.

Since I didn't feel like installing laminate on the top, I decided I'd use this as a chance to give me some practice at staining and finishing. I picked up some mahogany stain and a new can of polyurethane and got to work this afternoon.

after the first coat..
I could put on one more coat of polyurethane, but I'll save that for another day. I have a pretty busy weekend coming up, and so woodworking may have to be put on hold for a bit. I'm still going to have to make my new chop saw table and I'm still considering building a router table. I know that I can't build all that with the 2/3 sheet of plywood I have left, so I'll have to plan.

Just have to re-attach the legs and it's basically good to go.