Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Getting there...

I haven't had much time to work on things recently with school starting up again and having some rod building projects to finish up, but I was able to put together some parts of the garage cabinets.

I managed to get my top for my cabinets built. It's not perfectly square, but only I'm going to notice that. I learned that masonite is not the easiest thing to cut on my saw due to its flexibility since it's only about 1/4" thick. After dealing with some pretty suspect cuts, I realized that I should have oversized it and then used a flush trimming bit on my router to make sure it's perfect. Considering the small mistakes I made on it, it still came out good and it'll definitely be a better work surface than my table saw table and I won't have to worry about getting glue on my saw table.

Cutting the plywood for the counter turned out to be a little bit of an adventure due to the fact that I don't have an outfeed table yet. This leads to bizarre setups with my scrap plywood and sawhorses so I don't kill myself when I run it through my saw. So...guess what my next project is going to be?

I also worked on the left side cabinet, which will feature two small drawers - I'm thinking fastener storage along with drill and router bit storage. I learned the hard way that I should have made the drawer divider before setting the cabinets together and all that. But I got it in with minimal stress and now I can work on building my small drawers. The lower section I'm closing off with a pair of doors, but I'm not sure if I should put in a pull-out to get the tools out more easily. I'll figure that out later.

It's getting there. At least it's more organized than it used to be.